Specialist Services for Neurological Disorders
Neurological Physiotherapy is a specialist area of physiotherapy for treatment and management of people with a disorder affecting the brain, spinal cord or nerves. Neurological physiotherapists have specialised training and experience in treating people with neurological problems and are skilled in assessing the physical and functional difficulties that are related to those problems. They have a very hands-on approach to treatment and physically move the body to help re-activate and re-align muscles in order to regain lost movement. They use exercises to improve strength and fitness or to help prevent or slow down movement loss and maintain independence for as long as possible. Their treatment is specifically targeted to stimulate the nervous system to reorganise itself in a way that restores movement and function or minimises the impact of the neurological injury on the body.
Neurological physiotherapists have an in depth knowledge of how posture is maintained, how movement is generated and how a neurological disorder affects you. They also have a good understanding of how speech and cognition can be affected by neurological impairment and are skilled in adapting their treatment to take account of this.
How can a neurological physiotherapist help me?
- Re-educate normal movement
- Improve balance
- Improve co-ordination and dexterity
- Improve walking
- Falls prevention
- Postural advice
- Reduce spasticity (stiff, high toned muscles)
- Improve muscle tone (muscles which have become floppy)
- Problem solve difficulties with day-to-day tasks
- Returning to sport or other activities
- Exercise programmes for fitness and strengthening
- Teach carers about the best way to move and handle you
- Pain management
- Assess and treat dizziness
- Help prevent secondary complications (contractures, pressure sores, chest infections)
- Serial casting and temporary splinting
- Functional Electrical Stimulation
- Fatigue Management
- Education about your condition
- Advice about equipment
- Referral to other professionals – for a complete treatment program
Working alongside medical practitioners the Physiotherapy client has access to rehabilitation both within the practice environment and at home. This approach allows our practitioners to gain a clear insight of the client at home and their daily requirements in order to enjoy life to the full.
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Gillian Barre Syndrome
- And more…